Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Vintage Sci-Fi Paperback with Surrealistic Cover Art


Farmer In the Sky

by Robert A. Heinlein

Mayflower Books, 1968, 2nd Dell printing

mass market paperback

I had gotten past the road and maybe a quarter of a mile when it hit.

It knocked me flat on my face, the heaviest shake I had ever felt in my life. I lay down for a long moment, digging into the rock with my fingernails and trying to get it to hold still.

The seasick roll kept up and kept up and kept up and with it the noise - a deep bass rumble, deeper than thunder and more terrifying. 

The great adventure on Ganymede, with its prospect of hope for the future, had now become a tragedy. In one great, thunderous roar, nearly half the population had been wiped out. All of their spent knowledge and skills of the past had not prevented such a disaster. But could they go back to Earth - where the food supply was rationed, where homes were windowless cells occupied by many families? Or should they stay on Ganymede and work to make the planet safe for the generations to follow?

(copied from the back cover)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Analysis & Review: Keeper Of the Children

Keeper Of the Children by William H. Hallahan Quite often, horror writers are sensitive to the currents of anxiety that flow throughout a so...